Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Homemade Caramels!!! So good!!

 
clip_image002
What you need for the caramels:

· ½ cup or one stick of SOFTENED Butter

· 1 cup White Sugar

· ½ cup Brown Sugar

· ½ cup Light Corn Syrup

· ½ cup Evaporated Milk

· 1 cup of Heavy Whipping Cream

· 1 teaspoon of Vanilla

Tools you will need for the caramels:

· 3 qt saucepan

· Candy Thermometer

· 13 x 9 pan sprayed with non butter flavored nonstick spray

Steps for Caramel:
1) In a 3 qt saucepan, melt your softened butter over medium heat.
2) Add White Sugar, Brown Sugar and Corn Syrup. Stir until combined.
3) Add Cream and Evaporated Milk and stir to combine. This step may take a few minutes.
4) Continue to stir often with a Wooden Spoon. Why a wooden spoon? Metal can get too hot and it can also conduct heat. Plastic can melt.
5) Once it is boiling, clip on your thermometer.
6) Keep stirring often. Toward the end of the cooking process, I stir nonstop.
7) Bring the mixture to 240 degrees. Because I am at over 4000 feet above sea level, I stop cooking when I reach 230 degrees. The rule of thumb is to reduce the degree by 2 for every 1000 feet above sea level.
8) Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
9) Pour into sprayed pan. Try not to scrape the bottom. It may be discolored.
10) Allow to cool and cut! Enjoy them as they are or cover in chocolate!!
I completely forgot to take a final picture! You can see what the caramel will look like in the Caramallow post. When I make these again, I’ll add a picture. In the meantime, I wanted to show you what my little monkey was doing while I was making candy. Such a cutie!!
clip_image004
Update: I made them again and took a final picture.


1 comment:

  1. Hi. Are these shelf stable (if so how long for) or do they need to be kept in the fridge please?
    Jess

    ReplyDelete