Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Homemade Candy Corn!

I am a CANDY CORN FREAK!  I love it!!!  So, I thought that I would try to make some homemade ones.  I found a recipe from Alton Brown on the food network (A true genius!).  It was good, but it didn’t turn out for me.  So, I started to play around a bit and found a recipe that works for me.  I hope it works for you too!
Candy Corn (Adapted from Food Network’s Alton Brown)
  • 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
  • 6 1/2 teaspoons nonfat dry milk
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup light corn syrup ( I added two tablespoon of Honey in the bottom of the 1/3 cup and filled the rest with the light corn syrup)
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons water
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 to 3 drops yellow and orange gel paste food coloring
Steps:
1)      Put powdered sugar, dry milk and salt into a food processor and pulse until smooth (any clumps will make parts of your candy lumpy)
2)      Place Corn Syrup, honey, granulated sugar and water in a medium saucepan.  Over medium heat, heat the mixture, COVERED, for 4 minutes
3)      Stir in butter and clip on Candy Thermometer.  Heat mixture UNCOVERED for about 6 minutes (The original said 230 degrees, but I got a rock when I did that.  So, I went to 220 degree, which took me 6 minutes.)  You DO NOT want your sugar to change color (start to caramelize or turn brown)!
4)      Stir in vanilla.  Then, use a hand mixer to beat in Step #1 mixture.  You want it smooth, but act quickly.  Be super careful!  The sugar can burn you so start on the lowest setting.
5)      Pour it onto a nonstick surface (I used a Silpat Baking Liner).  Wait for it to cool for a few minutes.  Once it is cool enough to handle, cut into three pieces.  Color one yellow, one orange and leave one white. 
6)      Roll out snakes in each color and layer them together.  Now cut your triangles! 
7)      Allow them to dry separately for at least a day and enjoy! I made mine into jumbo corn!
  My Candy Corn could beat up yours!!  They are huge!
You can also make pumpkins.  Just color 90% of the mixture orange and 10% green.  Then, roll the orange into pumpkins and stick a green ‘stem’ on the tops!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment