Happy Halloween! Ok, so it’s not Halloween yet. But, I celebrate Halloween from Labor Day to October 31st. It drives Mr. Wonderful nuts!!! Maybe that’s why I do it?!? Well, we were invited to a ‘get together’ and I decided to make something new and ZOMBIE POPS were born!!
What you will need:
For the centers: 12 oz of Milk Chocolate chips or milk chocolate candy melts, 1/3 cup of heavy cream, ½ to 1 teaspoon of mint extract (I like things minty! ) Note: Usually when you flavor chocolate, you need to use a special candy flavoring. This is different! You can use the regular extracts that you use for baking
For the ZOMBIES: 15 to 25 lollipop sticks (It depends on how big you make the heads), Spooky green candy melts (If you can’t find those, use half green and half white and a few yellow (like 5)), Paramont Crystals (it smoothes out the chocolate to make it easier to dip. But, it’s not needed), Candy Eyeballs and a Edible Black MarkerThe Steps:
For the centers:
1) In a medium size saucepan, melt the chocolate on low heat. Stir all the time! Don’t look away. It will burn.
2) Once it is melted, add the cream. You may need to whisk it to combine.
3)Then, add the mint extract and stir to combine. That’s it!!
4)Put it in a plastic container and let it cool in the fridge. You want it to cool to a ‘fudge’ state.
For the zombies:
1)Roll the centers into balls (about 1 inch diameter). Place them back in the fridge.
2) Prepare the chocolate. Follow the package or look at my instructions here.
3) Get your truffle balls out of the fridge. Dip the end of the lollipop sticks into the chocolate and insert it into a ball. Repeat until they all are on a stick. Then, return to the fridge for just a few minutes. We are looking for the chocolate on the sticks to harden
4) Get three lollipops out of the fridge at a time. Dip one into the chocolate. DO NOT STIR! Just dunk it into the chocolate. Gently tap off the extra chocolate by tapping the stick on the side of the bowl or your wrist. Place in a Styrofoam holder to dry. Repeat until they are all covered. If your dipping chocolate gets cold or hard, place it back in the microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power.
5) Once they are dry, ‘glue’ on eyes with the left over chocolate. It’s ok to be messy. It looks like pus. Now, draw on a nose and mouth with your edible pen. You have a ZOMBIE!