So, I love bacon. I really, really love bacon. And I love sweet and salty things. I was watching a cooking show called ‘Bitchin Kitchen’ (Love the show, hate the name) and she did a treat similar to this. So, I decided to make some and try them out. They are creamy, crispy, porky, salty and sweet all at the same time. I took a batch of these to share with a bunch of teenage girls. And guess what! They loved them!!! Give them a try!
What you will need:
· 5 strips of Bacon
· 1 cup of Rice Krispie Cereal
· 16 oz of Milk Chocolate
· A silicone ice cube tray (I used a heart shaped tray that I got at the dollar store)
· A little chocolate and a sandwich bag for decoration (I used pink chocolate for Valentine’s Day)
1) Cook your bacon. I used frozen bacon (I always store my bacon in the freezer) and cut them into ½ inch strips. I then sprinkled them with a tablespoon of brown sugar and placed them in a 375 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, stirring them around every 5 minutes.
2) Place the bacon bits on a paper towel and allow to cool completely. Once cool, chop the bacon into fine bacon bits. I had about 1/3 cup of bacon bits when I was done chopping.
3) Melt your chocolate according to the instructions on the package or follow mine.
4) Mix the bacon and cereal into the chocolate.
It’s not the prettiest mixture, but they are really cute at the end!
5) Fill your ice cube tray with the mixture and tap the tray on the counter to make sure there are no air bubbles.
6) Place the tray in the fridge for 30 minutes (or in the freezer for 5 minutes) to allow the chocolate to harden.
7) Just pop the chocolates out of the mold and decorate with a little melted chocolate. I also used tiny heart sprinkles.
The biggest challenge is whether or not to tell people there is bacon in them. It’s kinda fun to surprise people with a porky treat. But, this is coming from a girl that put peas in a chocolate to surprise a friend that hates peas. Yeah, I’m evil.