Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Chocolate Covered Marshmallow!! Super easy and great for Valentine’s day!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I found Chocolate Covered Peeps during my first pregnancy and I loved them! But, they are kind of expensive (for this cheap girl anyway). So, I decided to make my own. I used cookie cutters to make the shapes, big and small. They are really fun and everyone loves them.

What you will need:
· Homemade Marshmallow. I used my recipe found here.
· ¼ cup of Corn Starch and ¼ cup Powdered Sugar mixed together. This keeps the marshmallows from sticking.
· Cookie cutters. Any shape and size will work
· A dipping tool or just a fork
· A microwave safe bowl and a brush
· 16 oz of Milk or Dark Chocolate Candy Melts
· A Silpat or Wax paper
· For decoration, I used a little white chocolate and heart sprinkles.
 
Steps:
1) Make your marshmallow. I made the marshmallow and poured it into a sheet pan with a Silpat on the bottom. The pan was covered in a mixture of equal parts corn starch and powdered sugar (like my recipe says to use). Allow the marshmallow at least 4 hours to set up. I waited overnight.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

2) Sprinkle a cutting board with the corn starch and powdered sugar mixture. Peel the marshmallow off the pan and place on the cutting board. If you used a Silpat, remove that too.

3) Now, the fun begins!! Dip your cookie cutter in the corn starch and powdered sugar mixture. Press them into the marshmallow (just like making sugar cookies). Make sure you press straight down. Place the cut marshmallows on a Silpat or wax paper that is dusted with the corn starch and powdered sugar mixture.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Aren’t they cute?
 
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
The leftovers. Don’t throw it away. Cut them up and use in hot cocoa or just give the whole thing to your kids and give them a huge sugar high ;)

4) Once they are all cut out, brush off the extra corn starch and powdered sugar mixture with the pastry brush. Do this over the sink. It can get messy.

5) Now, they are ready for chocolate! I used Milk Chocolate Candy Melts. Follow the instructions on the back of the package or follow mine.

6) Place a marshmallow in the chocolate one at a time and pull them out with your fork. Be sure to tap off the excess chocolate. Place on your Silpat or Wax paper.

7) Now, decorate all you want! I used a little white chocolate and sprinkles to decorate mine for Valentine’s Day.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
I made large hearts for Mr. Wonderful. I used a small zip-lock bag to pipe with white chocolate, but the piping isn’t very good. Learning to pipe with chocolate and icing is one of my New Year’s resolutions. They still taste great!


OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
I just love how cute these are! I Hope you get a chance to try these!

No comments:

Post a Comment