Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Cake Pops: Rudolph the red nose Reindeer!!!

 
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Here is another Christmas Cake Pop: Rudolph the red nose Reindeer!! I love the Pretzel antlers. You have to be very gentle with them. I had to transport mine to a party, so I did a trick to make them more sturdy and kid friendly. I’ll share that at the end of the post. Let’s get started!
 
What you will need:
· Cake balls or truffle balls - I used a cake pop maker to make my cake balls from a cake mix. But, you could make the traditional cake ball method from Bakerella (the QUEEN of cake pops)
· Lollipop sticks
· Milk Chocolate and Green Candy Wafers
· Paramount Crystals (They make the chocolate very smooth. But, you could use shortening too)
· Edible Black Food pen (or use a little dark chocolate)
· Toothpick
· Small pretzels
· Red candies - I used Red Hots. But, you could use red M&Ms
· Drying Rack (or a large Styrofoam block)
Steps:

1) Melt the Milk Chocolate according to the package instructions or follow mine!

2) Dip the tip of a lollipop stick into the chocolate and insert no more than half way into a cake ball. Repeat for all your cake balls. Place in the refrigerator for a few minutes to harden the chocolate.

3) Time to dip! Make sure the brown chocolate is at the perfect temperature (No dry chocolate on the sides of the bowl and if you put a small amount of chocolate on your lip you don’t feel anything- no heat and not cold). If it’s not the perfect temperature, put it back into the microwave for ten second intervals at 50% power until it’s perfect.

4) Dip the balls into the flesh colored chocolate. DO NOT STIR! Try to cover the whole ball in one dipping. Tap off the excess by gently tapping the stick against your wrist or the edge of the bowl. Place in the drying rack (or a block of Styrofoam).

5) Use the toothpick to put a little chocolate in the middle of the ball and place the nose on top. I used Red Hots for the noses.

6) Use the edible pen to add eyes and a smile.

7) Now for the Antlers: Use the toothpick to place a little chocolate on the bottom of a pretzel and place on the reindeer. You can place the pretzel on the top of the head or a bit behind. I put them behind. Repeat for the other antler.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

8) Now, if I were serving these at home, I would stop at step 7. But, if you need to transport these, the antlers will pop right off. So, here is my fix: I melted green chocolate and places a 1 inch by 1 inch circle of green chocolate on a Silpat (or wax paper). Then I laid the Reindeer on the chocolate and pressed very gently into the chocolate. This secured the pretzels to the cake pop. Not one was broken by the hyper, little kids. BUT, I FORGOT TO TAKE A PICTURE!!!!! Trust me, they are cute!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
I hope you enjoy making these! I just love them!

Items I used and where to get them:




No comments:

Post a Comment