Saturday, January 19, 2013
5 minute healthy granola bars! You will never buy a box of them again!
So, I like to find recipes online and bookmark them. That way I can go to them whenever I want. Or so I thought! I went to my favorite website for a caramel recipe and the site was Gone!! I felt lost! I was angry! So, I have decided to post my favorite recipes (with my changes and links to the originals) so I never lose one again. After all, this is my online recipe box. Didn’t you know that??
Well, two peas and their pod has a great recipe for granola bars that are peanut free. I like peanuts and rice cereal, so I changed the recipe to fit my taste. Here is my version, but please visit the original site. They have great ideas and the pictures are awesome!!
What you need
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup peanut butter (or almond butter)
- ¼ cup honey - 2 cups rice cereal (You know. The box with the three guys on it. Snap, Crackle and Pop!))
- 1 cup quick oats - And any toppings you want
1) Put the first four ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir it every 10 seconds or so.
2) Once it starts to bubble, allow it to go for two more minutes. Stir constantly as it boils.
3) Remove from the heat and stir in rice cereal and oats. It should look pretty dry and crumbly. Stir in any nuts, fruits or seeds. I wouldn’t mix in chocolate chips or marshmallows at this point.
4) Pour the mixture into a greased 9x13 pan. Spread it out and top with chocolate chips and/or marshmallows and PRESS! Press down to combine all the ingredients and make a nice firm bar.
5) Place in the fridge to allow the chocolate chips to set. Cut and wrap in plastic wrap or wax paper.
6) They are ready to eat, but the honey taste is a little strong. If you wait a day, all the flavors combine and they taste awesome!
My favorite combos are:
- Chocolate chips and mini marshmallows
- Dried cranberries, almonds and white chocolate
- Raisins and a ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon (maybe a dash of nutmeg).
- I tried dried cranberries, almonds and coconut. Heaven!!!!
These are so yummy and so easy to make. I make a batch every Sunday for lunches or snacks for the week. Mr. wonderful loves them. Try them today!!
PS: Sorry I haven’t posted in…forever! My youngest is mobile. PSS: I waited so long to post this, that my baby can walk now! He is only 10 months, but still!!
Posted by Joni at 9:58 AM