Monday, December 30, 2013

Watch out Girl Scouts! Samoa Bites!!


I love Samoa cookies and I wanted a ‘candy like’ version.  And poof!!  A Coconut shortbread, topped with coconut caramel and covered with a 50/50 mix of milk and dark chocolate.  So yummy!!  For some reason, when I add toasted sweetened coconut to the caramel, it lo
ses its chew.  I think it is the sugar on the coconut that causes the caramel to crystallize and turn a little sugary.  So, I tried it with unsweetened coconut and success!!




Here is what you need:

·         Coconut Shortbread
o   1/2 cup (softened, but not melted) butter (I hate unsalted butter.  I don’t know why, but it just doesn’t taste right to me.  Weirdo!)
o   1/4 cup White granulated sugar
o   1 cups All purpose Flour
o   1/8 teaspoon baking powder
o   1/4 teaspoon salt
o   1 tablespoons milk
o   1 teaspoon coconut extract

·         Caramel
o   Follow the recipe here.  Add ½ -1 cup of toasted coconut right before you pour it out.
o   1 cup unsweetened coconut

·         Chocolate
o   I like a 50/50 combo of milk and dark chocolate.  So, to cover a batch, I need a little less than a 16 oz bag of both the dark and light chocolate melts.

·         Extra toasted coconut for the top (I like to use the sweetened coconut for the topping, but the unsweetened works too.)


Tools you need:

·         Mixer for the cookies (or by hand if you are just plain awesome!)
·         Baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat and a cookie cutter (or a silicone mold.  I love them so much!  If you use a 40 or 50% off coupon at Michael’s or Joann’s, they are only $5!)
·         3 QUART pan
·         Candy thermometer
·         Baking sheet (to toast coconut)
·         Whisk and wooden spoon

Steps:
1.       The cookies!  
a.       Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
b.      Place the softened butter and sugar and cream together until they are light and fluffy.
c.       Add the flour, salt and baking powder.  Do you sift?  I don’t.  Never have.  I am just lazy I guess.  I did add the flour a ½ cup at a time.
d.      Add the milk and coconut extract.  Scrape down the sides and make sure everything is combined.
e.      Form into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap.  Place in the fridge for an hour at least. 
f.        Now, to bake.  If you are using a silicone mold (please do!), press the cookie dough into the bottom of each mold.  I went about ¼ inch thick.  If not, you can cut them with a cookie cutter.  The step to add the caramel will be harder, but still tasty.
g.       Bake for 10-15 minutes.  You want them to be a nice, light golden brown.
h.      Allow to cool

2.       The Coconut!
a.       Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  This step is done if you are making the cookies.
b.      Place the coconut on a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.  It should be in a nice single layer.
c.       Bake for 10 minutes.  I stir mine every two minutes.  The edges toast faster than the middle. 
d.      Allow to cool.

3.       The caramel!
a.       Follow this recipe here.  I love it so much.  Just before you pour out your caramel into the molds or on the cookies, add ½ to 1 cup of toasted coconut.  I like a lot of coconut, but you may want less. 
b.      If you don’t want to make your own caramel, melt 15 ounces of caramels and 1-2 tablespoons of milk.  I like to use the microwave.  Place the caramels and 1 tablespoon of milk in a microwave safe bowl.   Heat for 30 seconds and stir.  Keep repeating until melted.  If it is too thick, add another tablespoon of milk.  Then stir in ½ to 1 cup of the toasted coconut.

4.       Assemble!
a.       Take the coconut caramels and pour over the molds or cookies.  Try to get the caramel to stay on top as much as possible.  This is why the molds rock!
b.      Allow the caramels to set and cool.  
c.       Pop them out of the molds and dip in chocolate.  I used 12 oz of milk and 12 oz of dark chocolate.  For tips on how to melt the chocolate, go here.
d.      Dip them in the chocolate.  I covered them completely. 
e.      Sprinkle with coconut and you are done!!






Happy Eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment