Sunday, December 29, 2013

A New Super Awesome Snickers Recipe!!


Ok, confession time.  I fell out of love with the old snickers recipe.  It was fine in the beginning, but it isn’t fluffy enough for me.    Then I found a new caramel that I worship.  I’m sorry old recipe.  Our love affair is over. 

Say ‘Hello” to the new love!  Mr. Wonderful loves it… a lot.  More than he should for his diet. 

What you will need:
-          Caramel Layer: Recipe link here
  • ·         1 cup granulated sugar
  • ·         ½ cup corn syrup
  • ·         ½ cup water
  • ·         4 tablespoons of butter (1/2 a stick).  Take the butter out of the fridge and cut your 4 tablespoons into small pieces.  I usually cut mine into 12-16 pieces.
  • ·         1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
  • ·         ½ teaspoon of salt
  • ·         ½ cup chopped (or whole) peanuts


-          Nougat Layer:
·         ½ cup brown sugar
·         ½ cup white granulated sugar
·         ¼ cup of corn syrup
·         ¼ cup water
·         2 room temperature egg whites (While I cook my caramel, I place two whole eggs in the shell in a bowl of warm water.  In five minutes, the whites will be just right.)
·         1/8 teaspoon of cream of tartar
·         1/3 cup of chopped peanuts
·         1/3 cup of peanut butter flavored candy melts (the ones found in craft stores or the peanut butter chips in grocery stores)

-          And chocolate to dip them in!  I use milk chocolate candy melts. 

Tools you need:
1)      3 quart pan.  I wouldn’t go any smaller than this size. The mixture will bubble up a lot!
2)      Candy thermometer
3)      Whisk
4)      A pan sprayed with nonstick spray or a silicone candy pan (I love mine!  I use them for so many treats)
5)      An electric mixer (I like to use a stand mixer like a KitcheAid)


The steps:  Here we go!!


1)      This method goes fast.  You need to have everything ready to go before you start to cook.
2)       Cut the butter and measure out the cream.  I put the salt into the cream. 
3)      In your 3 quart pan, place the sugar, corn syrup and water.  Whisk this mixture over medium low heat.  On my electric stove, I place the heat at 4.  Whisk until all the sugar is dissolved. 
4)      Now, turn up the heat to high!  Yes, High!!!  Burn, baby, burn!!  Place the candy thermometer on the pan. Don’t stir!!! Don’t walk away!  I said don’t!  This is going to happen fast.  You want the mixture to reach between 290-300.  If you want a runny caramel, go for 290.  Want a sturdy caramel, go for 300.  Since I live it the mountains, I cook mine until 285 (subtract two degrees for every 1000 feet above sea level).  You want the sugar to just start to get color (a light amber).
5)      Now that the sugar is at temp, remove from the heat.  Put ¼-1/3 of the butter into the pan and whisk!  Whisk like there is no tomorrow!  Once the butter is incorporated, add another ¼- 1/3 of the butter.  Continue to whisk until all the butter has been added.
6)      It is scary now!  Pour the salt and cream in.  Start to whisk slowly!  Everything will seem calm when you add the cream.  But, once you start to whisk, the gates of hell will open up and the sugar mixture will hiss and shoot hot steam at you.  Go slow!  Once the mixture calms down, whisk until the mixture is smooth.  This whole step shouldn’t take more than a minute. 
 
The steam after you add the cream is super hot!  Be careful!!!! 


The steam after you add the cream is super hot!  Be careful!!!! 
The steam dies down quick and you are left with a smooth caramel.   Please excuse my man hands ;-)

7)      Quickly stir in the peanuts. 
8)      Pour it out!  You need to get it out of the pan as soon as you can.  You can scrape the pan a little to get all the peanuts out.  But, don’t try to get all the caramel.  It won’t happen.  Just do a quick scrape and move on.

Sometimes I put the peanuts in the pan and poured the caramel on top.  Isn’t this a cute heart mold?

-The nougat:
1)      Clean the pan and the thermometer from the caramel part.
2)      Put the sugars, corn syrup and water in the pan.  Over Medium heat, cook the mixture Covered for ten minutes.
3)      While that is cooking, place the room temperature egg whites and cream of tartar in the mixing bowl and beat (with the whisk attachment) on high until they are stiff peaks. 
4)      Also, chop up the peanuts and peanut butter candy melts (or chips).



5)      Once the ten minutes are up, remove the lid and clip on the candy thermometer.   Continue to cook until the mixture is at 250-260 (I like to cook it to 255, but I live at 4100 feet.  If you live lower, shoot for 260.  If you live higher, I feel bad for you.  Try to stop at 250.)  This recipe is ok to be off a degree or two.  It’s pretty forgiving.
6)      Turn the mixer on low and add a little of the cooked sugar.  My egg likes to stay in the whisk part.  So, after I add a little of the sugar, I turn the mixer up so the eggs come out of the whisk and into the bowl.  I then turn it back down and slowly add the rest of the sugar.  Then turn the mixture all the way up and whisk for 8 minutes. 

7)      Then change the whisk attachment to the paddle attachment and add the peanuts and the peanut butter chips.  And continue on high for a minute more. 
8)      Spread over the caramel layer and allow to cool.  Then place in the fridge for an hour or so.  I like the silicone molds because I don’t have to cut them up.  But, if you used a pan, cut them at this point.  You may need to put them back in the fridge to prepare them for dipping.

9)      Dip away and decorate!  They are super good and fluffy!!

This is not a beginner’s recipe.  Well, it wasn’t for me!   It takes some practice.  Good luck and don’t give up!! 







2 comments:

  1. This material is fabulous! It's full of incisive information and the points you make are rational and solid. I agree with much of this information. Custom Truffle Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  2. English Poem Analysis Essay Single Space This is an English poem class. Choose Li-young Lee’s one question-hub poem from 25 of his poems(I will provide the 25 poems list by Li-young Lee to you, plz see attach) and write 1500 words poem analysis essay about it. You mainly write analysis of one poem for this essay; and also you can find one or two other poems in the 25 poems list …

    ReplyDelete