Monday, November 14, 2011

My Take on TAKE 5 candy bar! Caramel, peanuts, peanut butter, pretzel and chocolate! Awesome!!!

clip_image002

Have you ever heard of a candy bar and it sounded so good. But, when you try it, it’s just not right. That’s what happened to me. I love salty-sweet snacks. But, it was missing something. So, I decided to play with the proportions and I think it’s amazing now. Seriously, it’s AMAZING (and I am just so humble ;)) I did make my own caramel, but you can use store bought caramel. It will still rock!

The layers to the Take 5 are: Pretzel, Peanut Butter mixture, Caramel and Peanuts. I mixed the peanuts into the caramel because it was easier.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
The parts to the Take 5! The caramel with peanuts is already made, but here are the parts to the peanut butter mixture.

Pretzel: I used Snyder’s of Hanover Butter Snap Pretzels. They are the ones that look like little waffles. Any pretzel will work, but these look like the one in the original.

Peanut Butter Mixture: This is a super easy recipe. I added a dash of salt to make sure my end result is salty-sweet. Here it is:

Peanut Butter Mixture
· 1 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
· 1 cup Powdered Sugar
· 2 tablespoons of Graham Cracker crumbs (I used a food processor to get the crumb as fine as possible).

Step:
1) Mix all ingredients together. That’s it!!

Caramel: I made my caramel recipe found here and added 1 cup of chopped salted peanuts before I poured it into a 13 x 9 pan that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. If you don’t wish to make your own, here is what you can do:

Store Bought Caramels
· 70 – 100 caramels (I say 70 is enough, but Mr. Wonderful says 100. It up to you and how much you love caramel)
· 1-2 tablespoons of Evaporated Milk
· 1 cup of Chopped Salted Peanuts

Steps:
1) Unwrap all your caramels and place in a microwave safe bowl
2) Add 1-3 tablespoons of Evaporated Milk (I would use one tablespoon for 70 caramels and 2 for 100 caramels.)
3) Place in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Repeat until the caramels are melted.
4) Stir in Peanuts.
5) Pour into a 13 x 9 pan that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.
 
Now we have the components, we can make the candy bars!!

Assembly:
1) Prepare the caramels in a 13 x 9 pan. Allow to firm up.
2) Remove the caramel from the pan and place on a Silpat or sprayed aluminum foil.
3) Spread the peanut butter mixture onto of the caramel.
4) Place the pretzels on top of the peanut butter mixture close together. Leave a little room in between to be able to cut the squares apart.

clip_image005

5) Once you have the pretzels in place, press them into the peanut butter mixture.
6) Cut the candy into squares (using the pretzels as a guide). Place the candy on a sprayed pan and place in the fridge. You want the peanut butter mixture to be as firm as possible before you dip them. Leave in the fridge for at least an hour.

clip_image007
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

7) Now, let’s dip! Prepare your chocolate (I used Milk Chocolate Candy Melts) using the instructions on the back of the package or use my instructions found here.
8) Retrieve the candy from the fridge. Using a fork, place the squares (one at a time) in the chocolate pretzel side down. Then, use the fork to flip over the candy to cover the caramel side. Slide the fork under the caramel side and lift it up. Tap off the excess chocolate and place on a Silpat or wax paper.

clip_image010

9) I used a little extra melted chocolate in a Ziploc bag to make a design on top. I just snipped the very tip of the bag and drizzled chocolate over the top.

clip_image012

I hope you try these. They are really good and this recipe makes a ton! You can easily get 5 or 6 gifts out of one batch. Enjoy!!

clip_image014

No comments:

Post a Comment